Sunday, June 22, 2008

Dasavatharam - part 1

Just before going to the movie - My mentor here in my new company gave me a task - see the moview and explain to him how kamalhassan's dasavatharam is related to mahavishnu's dasavatharam.

For him the answer is - No Relation. Sivaji Ganesan had acted in nine roles, so kamal hassan wanted 10 roles and make history.

This is not a moview review, but a movie going experience review. All my friends declined to come with me for seeing Dasavatharam at PVR, Forum mall as it costs 250Rs/-. But i wanted to see it before any of my friends see it. Otherwise they will spoil my mood by telling all the suspense and twists and all.

When I reached PVR theatres I realized my purse has only around 50-60Rs. Ticket i already had. So had to spend 3 hours in theatre without having pepsi and popcorn.

I didn't know any story line and was eager to see it... The first scene showing Nehru stadium and Tsunami after-effects itself dejected me. Could see lot of animated faces ( ofcourse other kamal hassan's ).. Makeup is poor, and looks very funny. It looks like mask pasted for many "avatharams"....

Then it goes back to 12th century... And shows the fight between vaishnavite and shaivite... and how kamal hassan's first avathar fights and dies for the vaishnavite cause. Vishnu statue and kamal hassan's first avathar are immersed to the sea. From this point onwards I was seeing the movie to see a relation btw the 12th scentury story and 21st century... but could not find any .. apart from that when Tsunami happens the statue gets visible again...

But later when i was discussing with my friends - they were talking about "butterfly effect". Small events in past can make significant impact in future... Say a slight variation in position of ball at the top of a hill can impact which valley the ball falls in....

Anyway on a philosophical / spiritical line what the moview tried to convey i did not get.

But the "butterfly effect" theory is true.. small events in past impact your life in a big way.

To be Continued...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would like to expand on the so-called 'Butterfly Effect' in relation to this film.

The film indirectly speaks Rebirth. Well, Consider Rangaraja Nambi to be the first avatar of vishnu. After his death, his other nine avatars gradually rise.

The fact that all the other nine kamals are rangaraja nambi's avatars is confirmed with the entry of Poovaraghan.

Remember Mahabharata? I don't remember well, but when a lady is being abused, lord krishna [who is black] comes to the aid, and keeps on clothing the lady to protect her. Similarly, in Dasavatharam, when asin is being abused by the illegal mine traders, she shouts out 'Narayana', and Poovaraghan [Who is also black] comes to the scene.

Also, near the end of the movie, The death of Poovaraghan [immersed underwater with a car], is similar to the death of Rangaraja Nambi [immersed underwater with the idol].

After Fletcher swallows the vial, a man in the helicopter shouts 'Devuda', and the tsunami comes and destroys the vial. This is confirmed after the statue of vishnu is seen coming to shore.

I hope this is the entire explanation of the Butterfly Effect.