Sunday, January 21, 2007

Travel bookings

Last 2 hours I was spending my time booking tickets to Cochin, Chanaganacherry, Trivandrum.

Me travelling to cochin in search of re-issuing my passport, My parents travelling back, and my wife travelling to Tvm.

Lachu is not travelling!

I learnt a few things. One thing - The site irctc.co.in (railway tickets) gives two options - "i-ticket" and "e-ticket".

"i-ticket" will be delivered to your postal address. It acts like a normal ticket. If you want to cancel that you will have to go to a reservation counter. "e-ticket" is more internet friendly. Its a print ticket. You will need a government identity card to travel using that ticket. But all cancellations etc can be done using internet itself.

But today i found one advantage with "i-ticket". You can specify in "i-ticket" mode that you need the ticket only if you are allotted atleast one lower berth. This is very handy. Because while reserving using Web, one thing i have found is you are never allotted berth according to the preferences we say, although it is available. Using this option we can get what we want. perhap irctc should introduce this in "e-ticket" also.

Also using "e-ticket" we cannot reserve "Waiting list" tickets. That also should be changed. If we have a PNR number, that should be enough. Why restrictions in e-ticket mode ??

And for reserving a flight ticket to Trivandrum, I evaluated these sites
1)www.airdeccan.net
2)www.makemytrip.com
3)www.yatra.com
4)www.travelguru.com
5)www.cleartrip.com

I used to reserve using the first two sites mentioned. But today I found yatra.com has the best options. May be you also would like to note down the sites.

No comments: