Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Practices

Today we were eating at "Taravadu".., a kerala restaurant. One of us ( Mr.Y) should not eat meat for some days as one of his close relative has died. But we accidentally put the spoon of egg masala to green peas masala. He was then confused whether to eat further, as the spoon has become spoiled. Since he is a non-vegetarian usually, we said him no problem continue..

But that triggered a range of discussions.... One of my friend ( Mr.X) who is a muslim, if accidentally finds pork in his food ( it happens in japan, even if u tell them before, usually waiters dont know), removes the pork or gives the pork to us, and eats the rest.. I am more comfortable with that nature..

In our hindu system,,, practices we follow, reminds me of "untouchability" whether its against food or ..... we dont know what we are doing, or why we are doing..

i dont know.. how to convey what is going on in my mind...

i dont like conventions or traditional practices if they are not adding any value or not making any logic...

A range of discussions happended:
1. whether women can enter sabarimala ?
2. why women have to wear "thali", while men does not have any marriage symbol ( ring comes from western culture )

i dont know.. i dont find any problem with the above issues...

if "Ayyapan" does not like, then why should women enter ? or if "thali" can be a symbol of "i am not available" then why issues ?

but i dont like people thinking, whether someting will happen, if i eat with the same spoon that accidentally fell into "egg masala".. ofcourse we can respect pure vegetarians..

During some early times... i was rebel against the caste symbols that make visible the caste... i thought of buying "poonool" ( threads that brhamins wear) from east fort for 4Rs and wear, if that make me a brahmin...

Or what should i do to make myself a brahmin.. ? ( why i need to become brahmin: in our view points brahmin is the supreme caste )..

if community wise practices exits,,, then i should have all the privileges... i should be in the top most league. i should not miss any advantages... i should get what i want.. if so every practice can exists..

If brahmins can only do pujas,, then i am a brahmin
if socially unprivilged can only get reservations, then i am a socially unprivileged..

i dont know where i stand.. but i dislike divisions in society..

i wish some new Prophet or disciples of Prophet come and make everything correct and good..!

Dont read this,, I may change my stand tomorrow..., This is what i write on 05 July 2006

I will not say I am consistent.. i am trying to write my thinkings and expose myself for my review.

2 comments:

Muhammad Riyaz said...

"I am not available" I liked this. I leave it on the women folk to have their view.

But ring and thali is kind of must-wear these days. If you are married, where is the ring? I was told by my friend that US Consulate asks for "album" as a proof of marriage in India. God, I dont have a wedding album:) But I have a wife and two kids.

Also what about name changes? In the earlier family systems in North India and even the West and Japan, the girl moves to a new family on getting married. She does not change her name, but changes the family name. Because family name was an address.

Our Kerala guys have copied this and started adding husbands names. In many cases, remove the fathers name in the girls name and put husbands name there. And this is getting more and more stricter - I will not call it popular.

Santhosh Balasubramanian said...

For such beliefs and practices, its always better to leave it to the concerned person. If the person confides in it and feels himself in the comfort zone by following a particular belief, let him. You cannot dislike a person
or shun him just because his train of thoughts run in a different track - thats my view on this.
Whatever be the practices or beliefs followed by our society, as long as we do not hurt the sentiments of others, its well and good. LIVE & LET LIVE.