Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My best friend's marriage!

Year 2028 ( God Willing..)

Copyright: I got the below story as a forwarded mail. I dont know who wrote it.

The Stranger
She was getting engaged.
And all I could do was stand by and applaud along with all. I didn’t dare open my mouth for fear of saying something stupid.
Something like “I love you”.
I remembered the other day when she had come to me with red eyes. Her “best friend” was going away. It had never mattered to me that her best friend was a guy. I thought I was above such things. But her tears awoke the sin of jealousy in my heart. Fighting it, I had consoled her and given her chocoloates to eat. She proceeded to rest her head in the crook of my arm. And promptly fell asleep. I chuckled at her baby-like innocence.
But now, as I applauded, I felt something stabbing at my heart. Again.

She was getting married.
I saw her come down the stairs decked out in her bridal finery. Never before had I seen her looking this beautiful. I saw her taking the seven rounds around the sacred fire with the man I had come to hate, holding his hand. I saw her exchanging garlands with him.
She was a total stranger to me now.
I was standing near the car when they both came over to me. I wondered what they wanted. I wondered how to say farewell to the departed.
Nevertheless, as my daughter and son-in-law touched my feet, I blessed them. She was crying openly. I told her not to worry. That I’ll always be here.
She responded by hugging me.
And I could not stop the tears any more

1 comment:

Santhosh Balasubramanian said...

I also liked the story very much.... But when I forwarded it to my fiancee, I added 2 more lines in the end....
Just to make it more congenial to our future relation..... To induce a feel-good-factor in her....

I added Father-In-Law's some more feelings these in the end:

But I felt happy inside that she is going with someone where she would be much secure and happy for all the rest of her life. Afterall that is what I wished for long...